music

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Chinese Vs. English

Okay now hold your horses ... I know what you're thinking... this bitch is going to say some racist shit, isn't she? WELL, sad to say NO! I’m however going to talk about the difference between Chinese (Mandarin) and English pop music, the beats and more importantly the lyrics

I’m not going to talk about traditional music or instrumental, but rather our modern day music. This is my opinion/views towards English pop and Chinese pop. There are similarity and differences, and today I'm going to focus on the differences between the two languages.

The beats or also known as the Soul of music, as many a times people get attracted to the beats of the song before the will actually listen to the lyrics.
I’m one of those people; I will first be lured in by the beats of the song before I start focusing on the lyrics. I have to admit hands down that English pop has a better beat than many Chinese/Mandarin Songs, as it would really make you want to dance to the beat and shake your booty. Not to say that Chinese song doesn’t have good beats, it’s just that the lack of what I term it as movement. What the heck is movement you say, it’s the instant attraction to make you or even to compel you to search for the song and download it to your phone and listen to it for hundred times that very day. However, there are some Chinese songs that did make me want to do that, but most of the time it would be an English pop song that gives me that instant push to find and download that song.
For example, Party Rock Anthem by LMFAO or Titanium by David G, both songs have incredible beats and the very instant you hear it, you want to dance and ‘make love’ (joking). Nonetheless, there are some very repetitive beats in English pop songs, sometimes you heard a certain song and you would be thinking ‘hey haven’t I heard this beat (usually this) song before?’ but when you get to know that title of the song, it’s actually something completely new or many foreign… It gets you thinking that maybe English pop does have lots of repetitive beats in many of their songs. Yes there are original ones, but there are also songs known as ‘copier’, some producer just got lazy and he was like’ hey I just change the tune and put this beat into another song to cheat young foolish people into thinking it’s a completely new and original song’.
Chinese pop doesn’t really have that, their beats are usually original and different, and you can distinguish the different songs. Although not as ‘attractive’ as a English pop song, but the more you listen to a Chinese pop song the more you’ll fall in love with it, kind of the opposite to an English pop song.

Lyrics the colours to the song, one of the most important elements and a way to express thoughts and emotion that can capture millions of people. Although nowadays many young people like me don’t really listen to lyrics…sometimes, but it is still a core of a song.
Honestly some English pops doesn’t make sense to me because many of the lyrics to a song are really shitty. Even if you do understand the lyrics, won’t you be asking yourself ‘WTF??’, is the song writer high when he wrote that song, or is he running out of things to write. Really have you tried to read up or listen to what some Artist are singing nowadays. For Example, Lil Wayne “Rich as Fuck”, the song title says it all:
Look at you, now look at us
All my niggas look rich as fuck
All my niggas look rich as fuck
All my niggas look rich as fuck
That’s the chorus of the Song. Really all my niggas look rich as fuck?! That’s what the whole song is about, other that being ridiculous vulgar it doesn’t convey any meaning all ALL. It’s ike they don’t even bother to think! Seriously are the people or rather the song writer getting really lazy like extremely lazy, because all they do is copy and paste the chorus and few verse and add in some random words and BAM* new song, and to my disappointment many teenagers or young people even me listen to these songs.
When an artist actually writes song that means something they get criticize at how boring or stupid is that song.
I know Taylor swift is a moppy bitch but hey at least her songs means something, although the content is about the same, I’m quite amaze at how she can write songs with the same theme but with different words and produces different beats to all of her songs. As bad as she is, well she isn’t the worst… and is obviously better than many ‘Artist’ out there.
Chinese/Mandrain Pop is a whole different thing. I’m not trying to be bias or anything but their lyrics actually means something. Although some of the songs are weird and meaningless, many or most songs I’ve heard have a specific meaning or the lyrics really captures me and coveys a certain message. Some of their lyrics even pulled some strings in my heart, it makes me emotional and I can really feel the pain or happiness of the song. One of the best song I’ve heard is sang by Stephanie Sun, her songs are beautiful and all of her songs makes sense or means something to me. Not some junk.
One of her most popular song tilted Dark Sky is simply beautiful, heart wrenching, emotional and perfect. The lyrics are wonderful and well Magnificent. I am speechless I cant express myself with words.  Below is the English translation of the Song’s chorus:
Falling in love has made me give little regard to one's life.(literally)
Falling in love has made me reckless. 
I thought this was the only world I could pursue (literally)
I thought this was the only way I could live my life. 
Yet I fumbled, was misunderstood, was cheated. 
Even if the back of the adult world is incomplete, 
I must walk on the forked road I face everyday.
I cherish the past's simple little happiness.
Love always makes people cry, makes people feel unsatisfied.
The sky is so big, yet unclear...how lonely! 


To end this blog post, I have to say that there is no definite winner of which is better , both languages have their pros and cons. I can’t say which is better because I love listening to both English and Chinese songs. In our fast pace society, the top songs are mostly ephemeral, the top hundred or whatsoever is always changing. I guess we should try to expose ourselves to different songs and learn to listen and enjoy all type of music. Of course we can let loose and listen to shitty and meaningless songs, but I feel that something we should also take the time to search and listen to something more… Beats are temporary and you get over it very quickly, but sometimes lyrics can touch us and be imprinted in our minds. To conclude, English pop and Chinese pop are equally awesome , they have their flaws but hey nothing is perfect. I just hope that sometimes the lyrics to a song can be more than just random words put together.


No comments:

Post a Comment